cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] ccPublisher on Linux? (Ubuntu Jaunty)

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] ccPublisher on Linux? (Ubuntu Jaunty)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:10:04 -0500

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Nathan Yergler
<nathan AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> You're correct, we are no longer maintaining ccPublisher.  That said,
> I think it should still work in many cases.  If I recall correctly,
> one of the issues with ccPublisher on Linux is that the codebase
> expects (well, requires) Python 2.4, as Python 2.5 removed
> OverflowWarning.  If the error you're seeing mentions "unable to
> import OverflowWarning", this is probably the problem you're running
> into.

That's exactly the problem I'm running into. It also looks like the
problem is in the included zope.components python library. I'm
looking into seeing if there's a quick replacement I can make to get
it running.

> We have had some community interest in helping revive ccPublisher
> lately, so maybe we'll be able to get it updated.  At this point we'd
> need to rely on help from the community to drive development.

Well, add me to that list of interested community. I've tried the
flash uploader, which seems to be doing something, but has prevented
my browser from doing anything else, and with a complete lack of any
progress indicator, so all I know is that *something* appears to be
happening (the network activity light is blinking an awful lot).

So, yeah, a standalone app would be nice. Thanks!

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 AT gmail.com