cc-devel - [cc-devel] Translated strings

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jim Eng <jimeng AT umich.edu>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Beth Kirschner <bkirschn AT umich.edu>, Greg Grossmeier <greg AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Translated strings
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:24:44 -0500

We are adding dialogs for assigning licenses in a java project. We are interested in using standard strings for the license names, jurisdictions, etc, based on the user's locale/language preferences (which are set elsewhere in our UI and honored throughout our app). I could use immediate advice on two major questions:

1) What's the best source of the CC strings and translations? We see the strings we want in CC's subversion and git repositories. For example:

http://code.creativecommons.org/viewgit?p=license.rdf.git;a=tree
http://code.creativecommons.org/viewsvn/license.rdf/

But we'd really like to use a "released" version packaged as a jar or zip archive with version number and such so we can easily track changes and make sure we are getting a stable version for our releases. Ideally, we would let maven get the specified version from from http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/maven2/ or some mirror. So the question is whether there are versioned releases of these files, and whether there is a best way to get them?

2) Most of the strings in our UI come from java properties files. We have a utility that selects the right language bundle for the context based on the user's locale/language preference. I am seeing the CC strings in RDF and XML files. We could transform those files to the format used by our utility, but if there's already some standard java utility that does the same thing using CC's files directly, we'd like to consider using that. Otherwise, we will need to track changes to the CC strings and run periodic conversions. That seems more prone to errors. So my question is whether anyone can recommend best practices for this or point out a standard utility for this purpose?

Thanks.

Jim Eng
University of Michigan
Sakai Project