cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense [creative commons work]

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, asheesh AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense [creative commons work]
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 22:06:49 -0700

>> It would be interesting as well having mimetype license resolving.
>> With this I mean that the properties dialog should remove all
>> selectable licenses for letting on the dialog only those that match
>> those mimetypes.
>>

> Yes, Jason, do you have any ideas on this?
Technically I can think of various implementations... any would be
fairly straightforward and simple. I won't spew any technical details now.

I'm typically wary of anything that's done based on automatic mimetype
detection. I feel like there always needs to be a fallback if the
detection isn't right, the user wants to do something out of the
ordinary, or if a user wants a specific license class (e.g. content
licenses) for an unknown mimetype.

I'm throwing out my thoughts. The details can be worked out closer to
when someone is actually on implementation.

Cheers,
Jason