cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense [creative commons work]

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Rafael Fernández López" <ereslibre AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Jon Phillips" <jon AT rejon.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, asheesh AT creativecommons.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense [creative commons work]
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:58:16 +0200

Hi,

2007/8/31, Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>:
> All sounds good, but I think best to channel these ideas onto the wiki
> and roadmap. Rafael, can your team help with some of these todos and
> give good feedback.

Right now we are all very busy with _the release_. KDE 4.0 is coming
in october, and we are all very concentrated on it. After the release
we need to polish all the bug reports that come into our bug reporting
system.

For this reason I was planning on add liblicense KDE work for 4.1
version. This will be far better.

About the wiki, I think that what would be really nice is adding
another point on the roadmap: "KDE integration mainstream", or
something like that, explaining that we are planning this for 4.1
version. We can't really know what version of liblicense will be
released at that time, so we can't even predict which one should be on
the streets. We just can say that for 4.1 we are planning of adding
liblicense KDE work mainstream.

When have more time I will get in contact with you too, because for
example: this work can be added to almost all applications (KOffice
devs told it would be really nice for them, as well as other specific
applications: graphics, sounds...). So our integration to this library
could be very very deep. On almost all content editing/creation
applications, as well as on the Dolphin file manager (where users will
be able to set license to more than one file at a time).

For the file manager I had been thinking on a work that can be a bit
tricky, but that would rock for sure. I probably could give it a try
when finishing my _large_ TODO list. Is like: if you select 5 mp3
files, and they have no license, and you are the creator, then you are
able to select the license for those 5 files through the Properties
dialog (the License tab).

It would be interesting as well having mimetype license resolving.
With this I mean that the properties dialog should remove all
selectable licenses for letting on the dialog only those that match
those mimetypes.

It would be really nice adding that dialog all existing licenses too.

What I wonder for the file manager if what happens if you select 3 mp3
files and 2 cpp files for example. How could we achieve the properties
dialog. I think this can be discussed in further discussions about the
implementation, but just for set the basics problems that can appear
if this solution is taken.

Since I'm not a lawyer, I would like to know if a file is marked as
"not editing possible" for example, if the graphics editor in KDE (e.g
Krita) could say when this image has been edited and going to save
"The License won't let you do this", or on the other hand, this is
possible if you do not distribute the modified copy.

I think that's all :)

Bye and thank you,
Rafael Fernández López.