cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense [creative commons work]

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Jason K <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, kde-core-devel AT kde.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense [creative commons work]
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:46:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Jason K wrote:

Hey,

I'm one of the liblicense developers.

I'm sort of one, too, though I've contributed nearly nothing to the project except vague suggestions and complaints. (Jason, OTOH, has contributed mountains of code.)

I'm not open to picking up more TODOs at this point, but I'd like to state
that KOffice has an interrest in using the license to allow users to
select the license for a document or show details from an existing doc.

Same for KNewStuff which so far only provides meaningless strings such
as "GPL".
The screenshots of liblicence however imply that it would make it hard to
select GPL, for example.

That particular interface is tuned for content licenses (not source code
licenses). Do you have any recommendations on making it work for all
types of licenses? liblicense can list all available licenses, and when
one is selected, liblicense can provide more information on that license.

One idea is to have a selector for the type of work as a radio button or drop-down right at the top. The liblicense API could let the library user specify which sort of license to offer by default, and/or if to offer the choice at all (then KDevelop could use liblicense and only show code licenses and not let users select CC by-nc-sa).

Just a thought.

-- Asheesh.

--
Life is the urge to ecstasy.