cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] OpenDocument and Liblicense

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Samuel Klein <sj AT laptop.org>, Hubert Figuière <hub AT figuiere.net>, "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Timothy Vollmer <timothy.vollmer AT gmail.com>, Cassio Melo <cassio.ufpe AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] OpenDocument and Liblicense
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:22:18 -0700

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 15:22 -0700, Jason Kivlighn wrote:
> > Aha, more details wrt to the Journal in OLPC, where cc licensing
> > happens...openoffice.org opendocument format is what OLPC will use as
> > default. How's our liblicense support for that format?
> >
> Support for writing licenses into opendocument files involves extending
> the format's metadata description itself to include licenses.
> Opendocument's metadata description doesn't natively include a field for
> licenses.
>
> Opendocument does support four user-defined fields, but I don't think
> it's a good idea to encourage using that to store licenses. It makes
> migration to the long-term solution of using an extended odt metadata
> descritpion all the more difficult.
>
> Basically, before liblicense can support opendocument, we need a
> specification. I've seen some news on a specification, but I don't know
> what the progress or timeline is.
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

This is super high priority. We need to figure out the spec for this
that works with the OO.o folks. I'm cc'ing Hubert, who is working on
OO.o for Novell.

Hub, what do you think? What would be really great is to get xmp working
as the standard. In fact, I would advocate for this if possible, esp. if
there isn't a clear way forward.

So, would be great to pick a good step forward on this, here from Cassio
as well, and then bring up the best way forward on the olpc list.

Since OpenDocFormat is going to be the default format on OLPC, metadata
is critical to pick and move forward on. XMP on OpenDoc is what I would
like to see...then we can add to eXMPi...

Jon