cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] OpenDocument and Liblicense

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jason Kivlighn <jkivlighn AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Timothy Vollmer <timothy.vollmer AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] OpenDocument and Liblicense
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:22:52 -0700

> Aha, more details wrt to the Journal in OLPC, where cc licensing
> happens...openoffice.org opendocument format is what OLPC will use as
> default. How's our liblicense support for that format?

Support for writing licenses into opendocument files involves extending
the format's metadata description itself to include licenses.
Opendocument's metadata description doesn't natively include a field for
licenses.

Opendocument does support four user-defined fields, but I don't think
it's a good idea to encourage using that to store licenses. It makes
migration to the long-term solution of using an extended odt metadata
descritpion all the more difficult.

Basically, before liblicense can support opendocument, we need a
specification. I've seen some news on a specification, but I don't know
what the progress or timeline is.

Cheers,
Jason