cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Request for Comment: Javascript Widget Proposal

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Paul Scott" <pscott AT uwc.ac.za>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Request for Comment: Javascript Widget Proposal
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:24:24 -0700

On 6/14/07, Paul Scott <pscott AT uwc.ac.za> wrote:

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 10:03 -0700, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> The current proposal is to develop a Javascript-based "widget" that
> would allow a developer to drop a license chooser into a form in their
> application simply by including the script tag. I've written up a
> brief specification/requirements list
> (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/JsWidget).

I presume that the locales will stay intact?

Localization is something we need to figure out how to do. My
instinct is to do the following:

* Allow someone to explicitly request a specific locale, ie,
<script src="http://cc.org/widget/de/source.js";></script>
* If they request the "generic" version, use the browser's language
information to return the "best guess". So if the default language in
the browser is pt-BR, we'd return the Brazilian Portuguese version
even if the generic one was requested.

Does that sound reasonable?

The only other issue is that the JS should be strict enough to be able
to be used in XUL applications as well as XHTML-Strict.

I don't think it'd be appropriate for XUL applications -- for one
thing it'll be using document.write to inject an HTML <input> element
(well, several of them), which doesn't always work well in XUL in my
experience (iirc you have to do some special namespace declarations to
mix XUL and HTML).

If some coding time is needed, please don't hesitate to call on me.

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer
http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm