cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Google Code

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Jesse Warden <jesse.warden AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Google Code
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:11:22 -0800

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 17:35 -0800, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 17:04 -0500, Jesse Warden wrote:
> > I don't know Chris personally, but as much as I can tell from emails,
> > he doesn't believe it is an effective license for software
> > development, feels that the document & UI elements that CC can also be
> > applied to are not something Google Code currently focuses on, and
> > bottom line feels that it runs contrary to keep the amount of licenses
> > low.
>
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Can_I_use_a_Creative_Commons_license_for_software.3F

Yes, CC licenses are not for software. CC recommends using GNU GPL and
LGPL for source code. Hence, Google Code is right on point with not
using CC licenses in this way.

Also, I would like to highlight that Chris and Google are big CC
supporters. Chris, I know personally is a big CC supporter, and
understands the issues very clearly.

I'll buy him a beer anyway...he is a great guy :)

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA