cc-devel - [cc-devel] Google Code

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Jesse Warden" <jesse.warden AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Google Code
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:04:14 -0500

Google Code's Open Source Program Manager, Chris DiBona has a pretty firm stance on Creative Commons Attribute not getting implemented into Google Code.  Three people, me included, have asked in the last year to have it added as a license option.

I don't know Chris personally, but as much as I can tell from emails, he doesn't believe it is an effective license for software development, feels that the document & UI elements that CC can also be applied to are not something Google Code currently focuses on, and bottom line feels that it runs contrary to keep the amount of licenses low.

Naturally, this firm stance makes me all that more determined to change it.  He suggested I look at other hosting services.  Since Google Code is free, it's actually a valid suggestion.  However, I am totally on the other side of the fence because I made my career on sharing my code via CC.

Think there is any hope?  Anyone know anyone at Google that can buy Chris a beer and perhaps change his mind?  Maybe help him on a raid in World of Warcraft?

Failing the above, any other services like Google Code out there (beyond CVS dude)?  Google Code effectively "fixed" SourceForge wtih it's wonderful simplicity.

--JesterXL