cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:21:58 -0700

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 11:28 +0200, Bjorn Wijers wrote:
> I also have a question regarding the first page of the wiki i.e. the
> main page. I would like to create a more meaningful TOC. Can I just edit
> this or is there a specific reason for the current TOC?

Go ahead. The current main page is unplanned. Apart from spammers, I
think Evan P. has occasionally added a new link. Feel free to
completely redo the main page if you feel up to it. :)

> Another thing we haven't been talking about is localisation for the
> Wiki. for instance my mother's tongue is Dutch and we have a lot of
> iCommons people that have a first language which is not English. To
> harness the energy of all these people to join the wiki, start
> developing etc. We need to lower the threshold by localising the wiki.
> At least that's my educated guess. What are your thoughts about this?
> Should we try to localise the wiki? How?

Just add translated pages and link them. Wikipedia uses
[[language_code:page_name]] to automatically generate links to
translated pages on other-language wikipedias in the navbar. I'd want
links to translated pages on the same wiki. If anyone knows how to do
this please let me know. If it can't be done easily just add something
like [[Exploatör|Swedish translation]] in the body (I guessed from
http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/swe-eng).

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21