cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] Sabam

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Frederik Questier <frederik AT questier.com>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] Sabam
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:32:43 +0100

Op Monday 4 December 2006 22:56, schreef Mark Van den Borre:
> 2006/11/24, Michel Berghs <michel.berghs AT gmail.com>:
> > Question: does playing songs fall under the CC-license, is it a
> > form of distribution, or is it an apart form that falls under
> > Sabam restrictions? If an artist is a member of Sabam, but
> > publishes a song under the CC-license, can I play this song
> > without paying Sabam? If not, what's the use of this license,
> > that tells that you can distribute this song for free (in the
> > presumption that playing is distributing)?
> > In other words: do I have to pay Sabam?
>
> Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer AT ALL.
> It is not possible for a Sabam member to release a work under a
> Creative Commons license. I am not sure what the consequences would
> be. The work would probably be undistributable because of licensing
> conflicts.
>
> My common sense suggests me it would be the artist who would be
> screwed. He has given you a right that he doesn't possess. So go,
> SABAM, sue your members!
>
> Mark

See http://creativecommons.org/about/think
"Things to think about before you apply a Creative Commons license to
your work"
Question 5: "Are you a member of a collecting society? If so, does it
allow you to CC-license your works?"

If not already done, talking with SABAM should be one of the major
upcoming tasks for the Belgian CC project group, IMHO.

--
Frederik Questier
http://questier.com

  • Re: [Cc-be] Sabam, Mark Van den Borre, 12/04/2006
    • Re: [Cc-be] Sabam, Frederik Questier, 12/20/2006