cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] Sabam

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: "Mark Van den Borre" <mvdborre AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] Sabam
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:56:52 -0000

2006/11/24, Michel Berghs <michel.berghs AT gmail.com>:

Question: does playing songs fall under the CC-license, is it a form
of distribution, or is it an apart form that falls under Sabam
restrictions? If an artist is a member of Sabam, but publishes a song
under the CC-license, can I play this song without paying Sabam? If
not, what's the use of this license, that tells that you can
distribute this song for free (in the presumption that playing is
distributing)?
In other words: do I have to pay Sabam?
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer AT ALL.
It is not possible for a Sabam member to release a work under a
Creative Commons license. I am not sure what the consequences would
be. The work would probably be undistributable because of licensing
conflicts.

My common sense suggests me it would be the artist who would be
screwed. He has given you a right that he doesn't possess. So go,
SABAM, sue your members!

Mark
--
Mark Van den Borre
Noormannenstraat 113

  • Re: [Cc-be] Sabam, Mark Van den Borre, 12/04/2006