cc-be - Re: [Cc-be] p2p & film

cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons - Belgium

  • From: Wouter Vanden hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT telenet.be>
  • To: "bruno AT indymedia.be" <bruno AT indymedia.be>, cc-be AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-be] p2p & film
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 02:24:14 +0200

bruno AT indymedia.be wrote:
hello list,

I'm working on an article about the effects of downloading films (be it 'legal' or 'illegal' copies) on the movie business, ticket sales, income of film makers. I would like to compare the view points and arguments of ABDF and the like (www.houdedief.be) with that of theatre owners, film makers, journalists, copyright/left scholars & activists.

some questions to ask: is there a problem, yes or no,
I don't see any problem.

Movie-lovers can download some movies, but nearly all ISP have download-caps. Most people can only download 10GB/month. I believe the overall effect to be neglegible.

And what is the difference of creating a movie-collection with your computer, compated to creating one with your VCR of movies that have been broadcasted on TV?

why & what's
people's solutions if there is one?

what do figures say?
Figures coming from **independent** sources don't even find a problem in downloading music, let alone movies.
Take a look at:
The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales An Empirical Analysis
http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf

what about the
role of the dvd sales?

DVDs are the future.

No sane individual is going to invest large amounts of money anymore
in creating a personal music-library based on CD's.
That is the real reason why the sales of CD's drop.
Buying CD's is quickly becoming the same as buying LP's.

I would like to ask you people if you have any suggestions for this article.

1) You should mention the case of Jon Johansen, who legally bought a DVD, and unsuccesfully tried to play it in his GNU/Linux-computer.
Then he wrote some software himself and some others,
And guess what? The movie-industry sued him.
Eventually, he won the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Johansen

2) You should look at the history, and the things that were predicted in the past by the film/music-industry.

"the VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone." -- Jack Valenti, President MPAA.

While nowadays rentals of videocassette account for roughly 60% of Hollywood's income.

For a brief overview of the BETAMAX-case, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._v._Universal_City_Studios
this is the case where the movie-industry tried to outlaw the video-recorder.

3) The recent controverse (and victory) surrounding the "Broadcast Flag"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_flag
http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/
http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/bfcase

are there people you think I should talk to? studies I should
look at? other interesting info? do you know about previous articles
about this?

have a look at the box-office records:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/
Do you see any signs of a crisis in the movie-industry?

Here are some sources on the Copyright-debate :
http://www.opencursus.org/archief/copyright/

I'll recommend:
Free Culture - Larry Lessig.pdf

some organisations:
http://www.eff.org/
http://www.freeculture.org/
http://www.publicknowledge.org

Wouter Vanden Hove
opencursus.org
skepp.be
begin:vcard
fn:Wouter Vanden Hove
n:Vanden Hove;Wouter
adr:;;Kwatrechtsteenweg 93;Wetteren;Oost-Vlaanderen;9230;Belgium
email;internet:wouter.vanden.hove AT telenet.be
title:Ir.
tel;home:09/366.28.00
tel;cell:0498/44.96.09
x-mozilla-html:FALSE