cc-au - Re: [Cc-au] Moral Rights V0-2

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Evan Read <eread AT optusnet.com.au>
  • To: Renato Iannella <renato AT iannella.it>
  • Cc: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-au] Moral Rights V0-2
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:14:37 +1000

I agree.

But we do live in an era of "harmonisation" and Free Trade Agreements, right?

Consistency can be a good thing, provided the best laws are adopted. They aren't, so yes, we need to protect important moral rights. Not everyone will agree. Some will say consistency is more important than "the best laws". Consistency is desirable when your content is available in multiple jurisdictions. There are legal rules on the which forum a legal dispute will be heard (e.g. Forum Non Convieniens) but what a pain to have to know.

Evan Read.

Renato Iannella wrote:

I would like to argue against Moral Rights (integrity) being "disavowaled"
from the V0-2 Legal Code. I don't believe that this is in the best-interest
nor the "expectations" of the Australian creator community.

We need to reflect in the *Australian* versions of the Legal Code, what
*Australians* are used to. Not what is *consistent* with other countries laws.
(That is why, I assume, we are doing the translation in the first place.)

I would also like to see the Legal Code be reviewed by peak creator
communities in Australia (eg Australian Society of Authors, etc).

Cheers

Renato Iannella
http://renato.iannella.it