baslinux - Re: [BL] Can't get network working with BasicLinux on Qemu

  • From: Devid Farinelli <devid.farinelli AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Can't get network working with BasicLinux on Qemu
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 21:20:05 +0100

Thanks a lot for the responses!

Following the suggestions, I've made eth0 appear using this command:
qemu-system-i386 -hda BL3-5qem.img -m 512 -net nic,model=ne2k_pci
Now it shows "USE OF PCI-NE2000 DRIVER RECOMMENDED" while booting and I have to ctrl+c because it loops on "debug, sending discovery".

Since I still don't have connection, I've tried:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig eth0 up
without success, and
insmod ne2k-pci
that gives me an error "No useable cards found, driver NOT installed" "insmod: init_module: ne2k-pci: Device or resource busy"

Other attempts I made:
- I've found zimage.sb here, that seems to include the module for a card that I can emulate with Qemu(rtl8139). When I pass it to Qemu with "-kernel zimage.sb -boot c" it stops on "Booting from ROM", but googling doesn't help
- I've tried editing /etc/rc to call "insmod ne2k-pci" during boot, but vi gives me "segmentation fault" as soon as I press a key. I just found that his only happens on qemu on MacOS so I'm going to try again on Ubuntu.

To clarify my goal, I have a raspberry pi with a host-os where I would like to start a qemu virtual machine with a guest-os. Since it is for a public presentation I would like the host os to boot very fast.

Any kind of suggestion is really appreciated.

puppy linux boots in about 30 seconds on my 2001 laptop but not with qemu.
A web search found alpha and beta puppy linux for raspberry pi and that you can emulate raspberry pi in linux.
Nice to know, I'll consider Puppy Linux as host os. Thanks!

The only problem is that the floppy version comes without DISK2.IMG
pre-created. If you create the floppy2 disk image, then you can append
"-fdb DISK2.IMG" to command line parameters.
That's nice I didn't know the floppy parameter. At the moment I'm using the qemu .img found on basiclinux's website.

On a previous topic where the gentleman could not get a network connection with QEMU I wonder what version of QEMU he is using?
I'm using Qemu v2.7.0 on MacOS, v2.5.0 on Ubuntu and Raspbian, v2.6.2 on piCore (TinyCore for the raspberry)

Best Regards
Devid