baslinux - Re: [BL] An unusual project . .

  • From: itfactor36 <itfactor36 AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] An unusual project . .
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 08:10:40 -0800

"Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com> wrote:
> I still read this mail list.
> And I still have working BL distros, but I now mostly use DOS and Slackware 14.2

Another good use-case scenario for keeping around both DOS and working BL distros is to uniquely keep these on really small but NON-DEFECTIVE 20GB or less IDE (EIDE) hdd's that are suprisingly still around. Having a bootable DOS 6.2 on such an hdd is useful for some of those DOS-based flash-BIOS firmware utilities that a few manufacturers keep around for their older motherboards. Having BL distros around on such hdd's is incredibly useful for various system utilities such as repartitioning, wiping data off of, and/or thoroughly scanning other attached hdd's for physically defects.

OTOH, on such older, lower-capacity hdd's with DOS and BL, wouldn't really need to install Slackware 14.2 or even use some small "live"-type distro on themĀ  (e.g., using Tom's Root Boot floppy, Damn Small Linux, Tiny Core Linux...etc.)