baslinux - Re: [BL] Arachne

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Arachne
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 12:26:59 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 00:50:43 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

>> conversion
>>> What part of it does function?
>> It can start running, but that is about all.
>> It may make one URL, briefly, but gets clogged up very quickly, then locks
>> up.

> Memory management problem?

Among other things.

>>> Does it include a video player?
>> Yes.
>>> Is there one for DOS?
>> Yes, at least two working versions of mplayer for DOS.

> A way to download youtube videos to feed mplayer?

An Arachne plug-in.

>>> Are you interested in updating it?
>> No, I would not try.
>>> You obviously know enough.
>> Not to edit Wikipedia.

> To correct a few wrong dates, anyway.

Not me.

>> Sindi,
>> If you want to run Arachne (and all her plug-ins) in DOS, I would be
>> happy
>> to help.

> Some day. I have used it before.

I think you will find it more functional than it was.

> I usually use lynx in linux, with viewers mplayer for mp3s, fbi
> (framebuffer image viewer), pdftotext, antiword (which is probably
> outdated). My downloader is set to display tables in links or w3m when
> needed. Javascript often makes websites unusable.

> Why do you prefer DOS to basiclinux?

I no longer use basiclinux much.

I use mostly DOS, and Slackware 14-current.
DOS is a lot easier to make changes and additions.
I code in DOS. I make music in DOS.
DOS does not require huge amounts of RAM, or expensive extras, to function.
All my email goes through Arachne ONLY !

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
Sna Keo Il http://www.tadpoletunes.com/sna_keo_il/
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 7, 8, 95, 98 or 2000.