baslinux - Re: [BL] Arachne

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Arachne
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 00:50:43 +0000 (UTC)

It was never fully functional, there was no one able to make the full
conversion
to Linux.

What part of it does function?

It can start running, but that is about all.
It may make one URL, briefly, but gets clogged up very quickly, then locks up.

Memory management problem?

Does it include a video player?

Yes.

Is there one for DOS?

Yes, at least two working versions of mplayer for DOS.

A way to download youtube videos to feed mplayer? In linux I have used movgrab on a 233MHz laptop and played the result at 240p. Uses much less cpu and ram than flashplayer in a browser.

The Wikipedia article is out of date.
Yes, it is out of date.
Are you interested in updating it?

No, I would not try.

You obviously know enough.

Not to edit Wikipedia.

To correct a few wrong dates, anyway.

I think Glenn McC was the last person to edit the Arachne entry, and I think
it was difficult even then.

Sindi,
If you want to run Arachne (and all her plug-ins) in DOS, I would be
happy
to help.

Some day. I have used it before.

If you want to run Arachne in Linux, you are on your own.

For a browser about as handy as Arachne, I suggest Links (for both DOS
and
Linux). Links has SSL built in.

Both will run as text and as fully graphical, and both can be run almost
entirely from the keyboard, as well as with a mouse.

I have even managed to install a couple of Arachne's plug-ins into DOS
Links.

I very seldom use any other browser beyond those two, in both DOS and
Linux.

I usually use lynx in linux, with viewers mplayer for mp3s, fbi (framebuffer image viewer), pdftotext, antiword (which is probably outdated). My downloader is set to display tables in links or w3m when needed. Javascript often makes websites unusable.

Why do you prefer DOS to basiclinux?

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke