baslinux - Re: [BL] Arachne

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Arachne
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 11:26:56 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 21:03:13 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:
>> That was a proof of concept only.
>> It was never fully functional, there was no one able to make the full
conversion
>> to Linux.

> What part of it does function?

It can start running, but that is about all.
It may make one URL, briefly, but gets clogged up very quickly, then locks up.

>> None of the Arachne versions have javascript support, or SSL.
>> However, there are some plug-ins that allow to by-pass some of the
>> javascript, and even some SSL, to access videos, other links etc..

> Does it include a video player?

Yes.

> Is there one for DOS?

Yes, at least two working versions of mplayer for DOS.

>>> The Wikipedia article is out of date.
>> Yes, it is out of date.
> Are you interested in updating it?

No, I would not try.

> You obviously know enough.

Not to edit Wikipedia.

I think Glenn McC was the last person to edit the Arachne entry, and I think
it was difficult even then.

Sindi,
If you want to run Arachne (and all her plug-ins) in DOS, I would be
happy
to help.

If you want to run Arachne in Linux, you are on your own.

For a browser about as handy as Arachne, I suggest Links (for both DOS
and
Linux). Links has SSL built in.

Both will run as text and as fully graphical, and both can be run almost
entirely from the keyboard, as well as with a mouse.

I have even managed to install a couple of Arachne's plug-ins into DOS
Links.

I very seldom use any other browser beyond those two, in both DOS and
Linux.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
Sna Keo Il http://www.tadpoletunes.com/sna_keo_il/
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 7, 8, 95, 98 or 2000.