baslinux - [BL] mouse acceleration in Latitude D600 requires 2009 Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] mouse acceleration in Latitude D600 requires 2009 Xvesa
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:37:21 +0000 (UTC)

Mouse acceleration was not working on my DELL Latitude D600 (1.6GHz in theory but something broke so only 600Mhz in practice) with BL2, using standard BL3 uclibc-static Xvesa or Xfbdev. (SVGA X does not work). ATI Radeon video. Circa 2001 or 2002.

Mouse acceleration works in BL2 on other laptops with Xvesa, Xfbdev, and plain X, and on this laptop with Puppy Linux (2.6 kernel) or DSL linux (2.4 kernel).

In BL2 on the D600 the mouse cursor moves about the same distance
as my finger.

I tried adding to .xinitrc
xset m 4 4
or
xset m 6

but no change.

The laptop is too new to have a PS/2 mouse port or floppy drive.
My serial mouse is half dead (goes sideways not up and down).

No acceleration with the 2005 Xfbdev compiled by David Moberg or the 2008 Xfbdev from Xorg (precompiled), which had worked in another laptop where the older version did not.

I did not try standard X for ATI Radeon.

The solution was to use a 2009 Xvesa, from Xorg, precompiled for glibc21.
(I did not try the 2009 Xfbdev yet).

Xvesa-uclibc was compiled by Steven (when?)
This laptop is from around 2002.

The uclibc version used less memory but I have 512MB in here now.

Sindi Keesan