baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config for S3 Savage/IX video?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config for S3 Savage/IX video?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:53:41 GMT

I have this same video on a Toshiba Satellite laptop and it is
NOT Xvesa compatible nor does it work even with puppy linux
and Xorg (it works booted from live CD but not after it is
installed to hard drive). I use it with framebuffer X
and a framebuffer-compatible kernel. I compiled several
2.4.31 kernels (and modules for them) and Steven's 'big'
kernel for 2.2.26 I think also supports it. Boot with one
of these kernels adding to the loadlin or lilo line
vga=788 (for 800x600) or vga=791 (for 1024x768) and you will
get a nice framebuffer console (clear smaller text, more
lines and columns of it) and then you can load Xfbdev for libc5
from David Moberg (http://keesan.freeshell.org/xfbdev.gz)
or if that segfaults, use the one from Xorg which is at
http://keesan.freeshell.org/Xfbdev-glibc21.gz
(gunzip it into /usr/X11R6/bin) - 397K download. You will
also need glibc2 (try operalib.tgz at my site) for this later
version.

You need (once) to make a framebuffer device:

mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0

Install my http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bl3fbpkg.tgz
(which modifies startx and adds a cursor font and
also includes xfbdev for libc5) or for BL2
use Steven's no-xvesa.tgz and Xfbdev and start x
with xinit Xfbdev (or make an alias in .profile).

I don't recall how to set up the mouse, probably
ln -s /dev/ttyS0 (or /dev/psaux) /dev/mouse.

See instructions at http://keesan.freeshell.org/blfiles.htm

Xfbdev works also with neomagic chipset, found in many laptops.

I posted a 2-floppy version of BL which has it and a fb kernel
(which I think I compiled for libc5, smaller than the 'big' one).
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bl3fbfd.zip - if that
works for you the above method should also work. Install it
to two floppies like regular BL3.

Let me know if something does not work as described her and
in my instructions at my site.

Good luck.