baslinux - [BL] retawq text browser

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] retawq text browser
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 01:26:19 +0000 (UTC)

2006 experimental version, which I configured to compile for both curses and ncurses but ldd says they both need ncurses (and libgpm because the slackware ncurses was compiled to require it, but I cannot get gpm to activate a link in retawq). Can in theory be compiled to work with an external program.

Said to accept cookies if you put them in the config file but I don't have that working.

I will post a package. 160K executable and lots of documentation.
The dependencies (other than libc) total about 800K - mostly for libpthread. It can be compiled not to use that.

Comparison of text browsers arranged by size:
tables persistent cookies ssl RAM retawq 160K no ? no 1M
w3m (old) 300K yes ? no 1M
links123-ssl 1.3M yes ? yes 1M elinks 1.6M yes yes no? 2.5M
lynx 2.8.64 1.8M no no? yes 1.5M
(uclibc static - would be much smaller otherwise)
links2 3.5M yes no? yes 1.5M

You can tell there is no SSL support because fastmail detects its absence and does not let you click on secure login (but you can log in insecurely). Maybe elinks can be compiled with SSL support.
Not retawq.

I tested all of these on two sites and elinks takes TWICE as long to load them as well as using more memory. But I got persistent cookies to work.
You can choose from about 30 color schemes, most of which are unreadable on a dim LCD monitor. (mono-green is okay).

w3m waits for the full download before it displays anything.

The linkses all do frames. Don't know about w3m.

The main advantage I see to retawq is the legibility - red links and white on black otherwise. If I can get cookies to work it would be good in an email machine.

Sindi Keesan