baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 9.63 font problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 9.63 font problem
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 01:15:33 +0000 (UTC)

Opera on a 100MHz laptop with 24MB memory and 48MB swap space.

bz2 binary %RAM (of 72MB)
7.54 4.6M 9.8M 57.4% (with graphical ad banner, not removable)
8.54 5.5M 12M 39.7% (about:blank default page)
9.26 6.5M 14.4M 57.9% (loaded about:blank instead of speed dial)
9.50b 7.6M (this one crashes a lot, unstable beta)
9.63 10.2M 15.9M 69.9% (about:blank)

top reveals several copies of Opera 9.63 running, each 69.9% of total memory (about 50MB), showing about:blank.

When I run Opera 9.63 (installed rather than from the directory it unpackaged to) on my 1.4GHz with 512MB memory, top does not show 'opera' but does list several processes called '3', taking up 2.3 to 3.3% of my 512MB (11-16MB).

Both cases involve 2.4 framebuffer kernels and Xvesa.

How can opera use less memory on a computer with more memory?
Is swapping to swap file using extra memory?

Re the laptop battery:

Only drawback is heavy
battery (but it stores much better than lithium, which loses capacity over
time even when unused due to oxidation, and would have been completely
dead in 10 years)

I am told this IS a lithium battery, and it lasted longer than usual because it was left uncharged. Heat and charge make them oxidize faster.
They are best stored at 40% charge - how does one determine this? Is there a linux metering program?

If the charge gets too low they cannot easily be recharged. My partner does not recall just what he did to get it usable again for more than 1 min. May have put extra voltage on to fool some meter?

These Toshibas use a generic-looking rectangular battery and I think can take NiCd NiMh or Li. We accumulated five batteries all slightly different model numbers.