baslinux - [BL] lynx and links with msmtp as system mailer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] lynx and links with msmtp as system mailer
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:24:53 +0000 (UTC)

I have been trying to make this work for years now with a sendmail script, but all you need is to set up the config files with the name of the mail program.

Add to lynx.cfg (or modify the line with sendmail on it)
SYSTEM_MAIL: /usr/local/bin/msmtp

First you need msmtp (see my package) and msmtprc filled out properly with login and password and From.

Lynx guides you through the rest of the process and it sends immediately.

msmtp does authentication, required by some ISPs such as earthlink.
(pmail and mutt do not.)

I did not try lynx with mutt and cannot now that I must authenticate.
Try substituting

To use a mailer with links, add to /root/.links/links.cfg the line:
For msmtp:
mailto "msmtp %" 1

For mutt (no authentication but it is easier to add attachments):
mailto "mu %" 1

/usr/local/bin/mu reads (in my amendment to take an address:)
mutt $1 -F ~/Mail/.muttrc
clear

When mailing with msmtp, links is less helpful.
It does the equivalent of typing msmtp address, then you need to type
Subject: (your subject goes here)
(Add any other header lines you want to get mailed, such as Reply-to:).
(Type the message body here).
Ctrl-D (to send the message)

Both messages arrived safely, from lynx and links with msmtp.

To send attachments with msmtp, first use base64 (posted at my site) to encode binary attachments, then type up the message body with pico, import the attachment, and mail from a file (see prior postings on details, I forget them - msmtp < premade.file ?). I don't know if this would work from inside a browser but I don't send attachments from a website anyway.

Can pmail be made to work with lynx? Steven had some setup for it with links. I cannot test with my ISP.

Opera already has its own mail program. I never got Sylpheed to work.

I may be putting BL on a laptop computer from 2006, for a friend, that had XP but the 40GB hard drive died. We have a spare 340MB drive - overkill.
For reading email at truck stops. Will need an older wireless card. His is a 54G with bumps. Is there any way to make those work with BL and a newer kernel? DSL could not find it either. Knoppix is too large.

Sindi Keesan