baslinux - [BL] cabextract - for libc5 please

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] cabextract - for libc5 please
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:18:20 +0000 (UTC)

The Win2K I am setting up for someone self-destructed when I installed a Trident sound driver and now I get a blue screen 'Cannot load device driver ks.sys'. Safe mode and other modes give me the same screen.

Someone else with a different sound driver and card but same problem fixed it by copying over ks.sys after installing Win2K to another partition (sort of like having another kid with the right bone marrow to rescue the first). I would hate to install Win2K again. (I did it 10 times already before changing to a non-overclocked CPU).

I found a Village Idiot Boot Disk (wbootess.exe - unzip, then write the resulting .ima file to floppy using dd, since the exe won't execute except under Windows) with extract.exe from Win98 but it runs out of memory running in DOS. This is a 52MB driver.cab and Win98 has 1.4MB CAB files (floppy disk size).

I found and compiled linux cabextract for glibc 2.2.5 - 48K stripped (http://keesan.freeshell./org/bl/cabextract) and attempted it for uclibc so I could use it with 2-floppy linux but it would not compile. Something missing.

I finally moved the Windows hard disk to secondary controller and put in a DOS/linux hard disk, ran BL2 from that and copied cabextract to /usr/local/bin. It extracted all the files when I tried to extract just one. I copied over ks.sys and portcls.sys (which Windows had also complained about and which were the same size but different md5sums). It then complained about not finding ntoskrnl.exe but booted (very very slowly) into Safe Mode command prompt, which worked and must have fixed something because plain Safe Mode and then Regular Mode booted properly in normal time.

Steven, could you download the 200K or so source code and compile for libc5 so it can be used with 2-floppy BL3? It compiles easily and quickly for glibc. I cannot find it precompiled. Is there a good libc5 precompiled package site? The DOS binary and source code links at the cabextract site are 404 Not Found.

Knoppix supposedly has cabextract. DSL has a downloadable package.
But they don't boot on this machine (syslinux is fussy).

Sindi Keesan