baslinux - Re: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:37:41 +0000 (UTC)

Slackware 10.2 bare.i kernel supports OLD and NEW Promise controllers.
dmesg revealed that I have an 'old' model (PDC20262)

Oh, I forgot to write down what mine is - but when booting, it says
something about copyright? 1999-2001? version 2.0.1?

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimavsp.431

You will need to use my modules as well, if you are trying to load modules in rc. I posted several packages of them.

I downloaded it to C:\baslin\

I have no idea how grub works. Can you try booting with loadlin?

GRUB is installed to the MBR of an HD connected to an IDE on the
Promise controller.
(no HDs are connected to the IDEs on the motherboard, but two CD-ROMs
are)

C:\boot\grub\menu.lst reads, in part:

----------------

default 0
timeout 5

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title DSL4x
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/linux24 quiet root=/dev/hde1 fromhd=/dev/hde1 vga=normal
norestore dma frugal write
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz

I see you have DSL - if you boot to that you can make devices on the BL3 partition.

title BL 3.5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/bzimavsp.431 root=/dev/hda7 rw

hda7 is a partition on the primary master (onboard controller, not Promise card). If your drive is plugged into the first Promise controller it is hde. You need to make devices hde, hde1 (etc. if you have more than one partition) mknod /dev/hde b 33 0 mknod /dev/hde1 b 33 1 etc. You can do this by plugging in the drive as hda and booting linux and adding those devices or using DSL which I see in grub.

----------------

When I boot, and choose the "BL 3.5",
it goes pretty far, and eventually stops, saying

"Bummer, could not run '/etc/rc': Exec format error."

An online search says grub 'exec format error' means the software was compiled for an architecture other than the one on which it finds itself or if an expected binary compatibility package is not installed. ???? Try loadlin please, from C:\baslin.

And, I think, invites me to press Enter

So I do, and see a (bash? ash?) prompt.

df shows nothing, and there's no /etc/ mtab

But if I say

--------

. /etc/rc

--------

it seems to go to a normal system: df shows drives mounted, fdisk -
l shows partitions, and so forth.

fdisk on what drive?

Try doing this first with loadlin.

loadlin bzimavsp.431 root=/dev/hde7 rw
(assuming bl3 was on hda7 on your computer - that is where it was on mine)

You should eventually also edit fstab to change from hda to hde (with proper partition number). BL3 (unlike BL2) lets you boot without first doing this but it could confuse things if you run it that way.

Which of your multiple operating systems set up grub?
DSL?

Sindi

Thanks,

Sheldon