baslinux - Re: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 05:41:00 +0000 (UTC)

DSL 4.3 DOES recognize and mount the partitions on hde but it uses grub -
where does grub hide its kernel? This is a live CD with 2.4.31 kernel.
I may try Slackware 10.1 kernel but my modules probably won't work with it
if it was compiled with a different gcc. It supports new and old Promise
controllers - mine does only new ones, whatever that means.

Sindi

Slackware 10.2 bare.i kernel supports OLD and NEW Promise controllers. dmesg revealed that I have an 'old' model (PDC20262) so I recompiled with support for both old and new Promise controllers.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimavsp.431 and confvsp.431
See also blfiles.htm for a discussion of how I compiled it.

Supports also VIA 82C and SIS PCI IDE controllers (hda hdb hdc hdd).
My vns kernel supports Nforce2 controllers. These faster controllers are abysmally slow if not used with the right driver in linux.

For Promise add-in card or a second pair of onboard controllers, you must first boot with some other kernel (Slackware 10.2 bare.i 2.4.31 works but not all the modules that I compiled work with it, or DSL) and edit fstab to change to hde, and make hde* (mknod dev hde b 33 0, and 1 for hde1, etc.). BL3 will boot with the wrong fstab but BL2 will not. Neither will boot before you make the devices.

I read that Promise controllers do not control CD-ROM drives, so plug them into the original controllers (or ide0 and ide1). My Gigabyte BX2000+ BIOS lets you boot from U66, A, C. It boots to a C: prompt on the drive plugged into the Promise controller.

A UDMA 2 drive is running at about 12MB/sec now instead of 6.