baslinux - Re: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:08:43 -0400

Sindi and others, thanks much. I could use some more help.

> Slackware 10.2 bare.i kernel supports OLD and NEW Promise controllers.
> dmesg revealed that I have an 'old' model (PDC20262)

Oh, I forgot to write down what mine is - but when booting, it says
something about copyright? 1999-2001? version 2.0.1?

> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimavsp.431

I downloaded it to C:\baslin\

GRUB is installed to the MBR of an HD connected to an IDE on the
Promise controller.
(no HDs are connected to the IDEs on the motherboard, but two CD-ROMs
are)

C:\boot\grub\menu.lst reads, in part:

----------------

default 0
timeout 5

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive
boot

title DSL4x
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/linux24 quiet root=/dev/hde1 fromhd=/dev/hde1 vga=normal
norestore dma frugal write
initrd /boot/minirt24.gz

title BL 3.5
root (hd0,0)
kernel /baslin/bzimavsp.431 root=/dev/hda7 rw

----------------

When I boot, and choose the "BL 3.5",
it goes pretty far, and eventually stops, saying

"Bummer, could not run '/etc/rc': Exec format error."

And, I think, invites me to press Enter

So I do, and see a (bash? ash?) prompt.

df shows nothing, and there's no /etc/ mtab

But if I say

--------

. /etc/rc

--------

it seems to go to a normal system: df shows drives mounted, fdisk -
l shows partitions, and so forth.

Thanks,

Sheldon
215-842-0863