baslinux - [BL] BL in 8 MB of RAM?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL in 8 MB of RAM?
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I just acquired an IBM ThinkPad with only
8 MB of RAM. Amazingly, it's already running
Windows 95! (hard to believe)

But when i tried to boot BL off the floppies,
only a few commands would work. I was able to
use free, df, pwd, and cd ... but ls and fdisk
would not work. Even "halt" was a problem.
free showed that there was only 120 KB of
memory left after BL loaded.

But df also showed that there was not only a
/dev/ram0 mounted on /, but also a /dev/ram1
mounted on /usr/X11R6. So is there a boot
option to boot BL without any X-windows stuff
right from the start, to conserve memory? If
i can get the shell running OK on this machine
i'd be happy.

The hard-drive is 500 MB, but is almost filled
up with Windows 95 and its files. I plan to
delete whatever i can ASAP. So if i can get
BL's fdisk working, i can set up a swap
partition and things will work much better.

-monz