baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 install

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 install
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 00:14:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Salve,
I have a pentium S with 1,2 Gb HD and 16 Mb Ram.

I found this at cpu-museum.de. They run from 75 to 200MHz.
I first installed BL on a 75MHz 486 (with Pentium-type cpu) and 16MB RAM.

I partitioned the hd this way:

hda1 linux swap 128 Mb

I think the rule is to make the swap partition twice your RAM, in this case 32MB.

hda5 linux 142 Mb
hda6 linux 150 Mb
hda7 linux 780 Mb

I have had various problems putting linux onto extended partitions. Since you want only four partitions you can make four primary partitions. You can also make a swap file instead of a swap partition if you need another partition (32MB swap file in each linux partition).

See the BL archives for how to make a swap file. BL site, first link at the bottom of the page to BasicLinux support, then the last link on that page is a search form to search previous discussions about BL for information about swap files, lilo, etc.

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-july/011038.html

My instructions how to put lilo on a boot floppy to boot to dos, bl3 or bl2. Just change boot=/dev/fd0 to boot=/dev/hda)

Read the rest of this thread for any corrections to what I posted.

I installed BL-3 from fd on hda5 and I put LILO in MBR changing lilo.conf

I would like to install BL-2 on hda6 using fd version of BL-2. Is it
possible to install BL-2 from fd and not to use a DOS partition? Is it
possible to use LILO in MBR to boot BL-3 and BL-2?

I have used lilo to select between DOS, BL2 and BL3.

I put everything I could think of except kernel source code and compiler into BL3 and it still fit into 60MB. 100MB should be adequate. I made BL2 larger because there is more precompiled software available and I also used to to compile kernels and other source code (much of this won't compile in BL3). So you could repartition as follows:

hda1 - swap - 32MB
hda2 - BL3 - 100MB
hda3 - BL2 - 200MB (or as much as you can spare)

I know there is package from Slack 7.1 but I could not find on BL web site.
Is it still available and what is the install procedure?

The BL website has links to Slackware mirrors and you can find Slackware packages there.

Thank you very much for any help.
Giuseppe