baslinux - Re: [BL] Boots from floppy but not from HD

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Boots from floppy but not from HD
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:05:13 +0100

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org skrev:
Message from Steven
===================
Mikael Bonnier wrote:
boot=/dev/hda ### puts lilo in MBR of primary harddrive
### otherwise lilo goes in root partition
image=/boot/zimage
label=BL3
root=CURRENT
read-write

Then I run lilo -v and now it boots from /dev/hda2

If it boots from /dev/hda2, then CURRENT was /dev/hda2
(i.e. you were running from /dev/hda2) when you executed lilo -v. If you want, you can replace root=CURRENT with root=/dev/hda1

Are there any disadvatages to using MBR?

If you only want to boot one operating system (i.e. BL3),
then there are no disadvantages. However, if you would also like to boot to DOS or other version of Linux, then it's not so good.

How could I restore MBR so I could use the standard installation procedure?

Do you have a DOS boot floppy with fdisk (DOS version)
on it? If so, boot from that floppy and execute:
----------
fdisk /mbr
----------
That will restore a generic boot sector to the HD.
Then when you boot the HD, it will boot whichever partition has the boot flag set.

I tried fdisk with option o (create new empty partition table). The idea was that this would make the same boot sector as DOS fdisk /mbr. Then I recreated partitions and installed BL 3.50 to the hard drive using the recommended method. (It is not too difficult to reinstall repeatedly on hd since I've written a helpful script which I download using wget, and uploaded using ftpput -- se below.)

This just hang the computer before even booting. The only way I can get it to boot on this laptop is to install lilo to MBR. I hope I can have at least two small different linuces and perhaps FreeDOS on the laptop HD of 1.1 GB.

#!/bin/sh

umount /hd
mke2fs /dev/hda2
mount /dev/hda2 /hd