baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 X_SVGA server bug was Re: X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:56:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 19 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

In BL3 on the DFI S3 Trio32 does not work with Xvesa
but it does work with X_SVGA.

I'm not sure that the SVGA Xserver is right for that card.
I would use the S3 Xserver.

I tried a Trident PCI card with X_SVGA and it appeared to
work until I loaded Opera. The opening window and the F2 window
and the top menu are all black instead of grey background, with
black text.

Since the SW71 S3 server works in BL2 with Opera, I tried it in BL3 and it has the identical problem to the BL3 (SW40) S3 and SVGA servers - the opening screen of Opera and many others are black on black. So the problem is somewhere else in BL3. The SVGA server has this problem with Trio and Trident cards. Matrox works okay with SVGA server in Bl3. I did not check Virge or any AGP cards.

Opera does not use rxvt but it does use several X libraries. Do they have to be from SW40 if libX11.so.6 is from SW40, or can I use ones from SW71 instead? Which X library might affect background color?

If the problem is in libXll.so.6, compiling from SW71 code for libc5 should fix it. What else interacts with the X servers besides libc and libm?

I think it was static xpdf that does not work with the BL3 libX11 so a newer version might help there too.

I will set up a larger BL3.40 partition somewhere and try to learn to compile X servers on it unless someone else wants to do that.