baslinux - Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SANE, Desktop internet, Install at other machine on BL3
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:15:25 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> You can use BL3 with a later kernel.

A later kernel is not recommended for a 486 with
10mb RAM.

> upgrade your libraries

Again, not recommended for a low-end, low-RAM 486.
However, if that is the only way to run a key CLI
application, then it may be necessary. Best option
is to find (or compile) a libc5 version.

> I was able to plug our BL3 laptop computer into someone's
> DSL modem via ethernet and go online.

That works for DSL routers (ethernet). It doesn't work
for DSL modems (USB).

> You need to know the IP number for the DSL connection

Or, alternatively, use DHCP (if the DSL router is running
a DHCP server).

> run udhcp

In BL3 it's called: udhcpc

> and then telnet or ssh to the IP number.

That only works if the DSL router is running a telnet/ssh
server. Most DSL routers run a HTTP server -- use a browser
(eg links).

> BL with the 486 kernel (the default kernel for BL3.40)

The default kernel for BL3.40 is the 386 kernel.
486DX users should replace it with zimage.4dx
(from the BL3 site).