baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 with secure email component

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Constant van Nidek <constant AT indo.net.id>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 with secure email component
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:25:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:

Webmail would be okay. Have to install Firefox then. Where can I find a
Firefox ready made for BL2?

If you upgrade glibc to 2.2.5 with the Slackware 8.1 solibs package (about 1MB download) you can probably use the Mozilla 1.1 package for the i386 at linuxpackages.net (posted Sept. 2002). There may be additional dependencies (libraries that you should be able to get from SW7.1 or 8.1).

I have on one computer a Firebird package which works with this libc but I could not find it on the web. Maybe someone else with a broadband connection has it and would post it. (8-10MB).

Firefox archives only contain binaries for the i686 (Pentium II). Firefox was first named Phoenix (through 0.5) then Firebird (0.6-0.7), then Firefox (up to version 1.5 now).

Firefox current binary calls for Pentium II and 64MB RAM and 52MB disk space, and glibc 2.3.2 (I think SW9.1 is 2.3.1). Maybe also gtk libraries.

Opera for Slackware 8.1 is about 6MB download and includes a mail program.
There is a version for an older Redhat which you might get working with the original SW7.1 libraries (use rpm2targz to convert to a .tar.gz package). Version 7.23 worked on all our computers, 8.51 on some of them, and you may need to run it from the directory it unpacks itself to if it won't install properly. (Unpack to /, try to run the install.sh first). I don't think it worked with gmail though. I posted an operalib.tgz package that contains the required libraries to use it with BL3.40 (should also work with BL2, and you may already have the dependencies). Takes up 12MB hard disk.

Fastmail.fm works with IMAP or webmail and lynx or links.

Does anyone want to compile Firefox for BL (with libc 2.2.5 if needed)?
I ran across postings to the effect that Firefox did not compile properly.