baslinux - [BL] BL3 with webmail

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 with webmail
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:33:23 +0000 (UTC)

Gene who saw my posting about BL3 with Opera is looking for a small linux that will work with yahoo webmail, on old hardware, cheaply.

Yahoo webmail requires you to view an image hidden as javascript, for signin. Opera works. Lynx has no javascript. links graphical (the delilinux version with BL2) displayed the javascript image (but not the list of titles and occupations), however it is not accepting cookies. Can I set it to do so?

Is there a fast-loading English-language free webmail that will work with links-0.90 and/or lynx? Preferably usable without graphics.

The two nicest-looking ones I found are no longer free, due to abuse.
By coincidence, he mailed me from one of them. Old users can still use it free. (fastmail.ca, mailworks.org)

My local bbs had to stop offering outgoing mail to new users because of spammers. (We are now on the sorbs blacklist and cannot write AOL).

The best ones I have used are in Slovak or Czech and no longer have English-language options.

I tried a cheap ISP with pan-US coverage that a friend was using, but their webmail identified my browser as not being on their list (opera, ie, netscape, firefox, mozilla) and refused me access. Can anyone suggest a cheap ($6-7/month) ISP with webmail that works with links or lynx? I used one for SE Michigan. He is in upstate NY.

He is trying to put together computers donated by businesses (because they messed up their Windows software, mainly), some of which have bad hard drives. Is there any way to use for BL a drive with bad boot sector, other than floppy disk boot? We have partitioned off bad sectors. Some of our computers let you boot from D E or F, but not all. I am suggesting he use loop BL3.40 (in a 20MB DOS partition).

Their computers are 200MHz and up, the best one (their test model) being 633MHz with NO ISA slots but they have one Lucent PCI modem and he is interested in David's package for that. They have 700MB or larger hard drives. There is room for Opera and enough RAM, but links would be much faster.

He is a linux newbie, having tried BeOS but it requires a pentium. He got interested in linux when they were doing 486s. I did not follow who was going to use the computers.

www.fepg.net has links to all the free email services they could find, some of which are broken or out of date (no longer free), listed by country. You can get an account in Palestine or Israel. Bulgaria has three, the Poles quite a lot.