baslinux - [BL] chips and technology video (Toshiba and Hitachi PIs)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] chips and technology video (Toshiba and Hitachi PIs)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 16:21:03 +0000 (UTC)

chips and technology video chip CT 82c455, according to whatvga, which won't display with the chip but says it has 2MB video RAM in VESA mode or 1MB in CT mode.

In DOS it goes to 800x600 on the Toshiba, 640 on the Hitachi due to monitor constraints (LCD).

ZGV now works. Edited libvga.config to 'chipset VGA'. If I change to 'chipset VESA" - segmentation fault. If no chipset specified, displays a blank screen on all terminals and I have to reboot. VGA looks pretty good if this is really 16 colors. (The video chip can to 64 million).

X_SVGA server with Steven's modelines. These modelines did not make svgalib work with chipset vesa or unspecified.

We tried with and without the 'stretch' feature. Without it, in console mode the top and bottom of the screen are blank, with the lines of text close together. Stretch mode separates the lines and fills the screen. It has no effect on X.

Can I do something to make the characters look less scrawly in X? This is in the rxvt or in Opera.

I was able to comment out the accel section - it is using svga. I changed 8 to 24 for 24 bit color.

It will not do 800x600 in X either, with Steven's modelines. It has a dot-clock limit of 35.079 (for the LCD monitor?) and the first number on the 800x600 modelines is 36 or 40. Is this number the dot-clock? Are there modelines for 800 with smaller numbers? If so, they should be put into the default minimal XF86Config. I will hunt.

DOS pictview displays at 800 on this computer/LCD monitor as 'VESA Bios'. svgalib could use some updating to work with newer VESA chips, as could my modelines for X to work at 800.

Opera does not work well at 640, we would need to do 1024 or 1152 virtual screen to be able to set preferences because the dialog boxes are centered in a 1024-or-so screen and the OK is offscreen at the bottom.