baslinux - [BL] Linux on a laptop with problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Linux on a laptop with problems
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:42:32 +0000 (UTC)

We have a mostly functional Compaq 486 75MHz laptop with 24MB RAM, ideal for BL3. I has a dead docking station and dead floppy drive and some other problems which might all be fixable via software:

1. Dead :/; key. FIXED
On a desktop you can type Alt-58 and Alt-59. Same on another laptop, or in DOS on this laptop (Fn-Alt-58 actually). In linux on this laptop that combination does nothing, but Numlock followed by Alt-58 works. You need to hit numlock again to type other things.

2. Plip is not working. Ifconfig line followed by route does not show the line with 192.168.1.0 like it ought to. I can ping myself but there is no network.

I notice in /proc/parport/ioports there are TWO address regions for parport0 - 378 and one other (788 I think). Should I, when insmodding plip, specify io=0x378 io=0x778 or something similar?

The desktop computer has only 378 as address.
insmod plip on the laptop reports 378 and not 788.

3. svgalib also does not work (segmentation fault with links2 -g from delilinux or zgv) but xsvga is now working well. xli does not handle pnm so I hope xv works too. If I have added the SW81 glibc2.2.5 to BL3 do I use xv from SW40 or SW71 or my choice?

This is an odd Chips and Tech video by WD - is there some way to MAKE svgalib work with it?

4. I tried to install.sh Opera 7.23 but there was some problem about file not found. BL3 has things in odd places. No problem.

Links2 compiled by Steven works great (but makes the background funny colors when in -g mode). Netpbm works but I cannot yet view the output (no zgv).

5. I got Xvesa working in 4 colors but the arrow keys are dead. Why?

The CF parport reader works fine here, as does PCMCIA (except with the modem, which won't dial). We used the ethernet card for file transfer.
No USB or sound - who cares. It will be a lovely little photo download and editing computer with BL3.