baslinux - Re: [BL] Orinoco Gold Classic

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Orinoco Gold Classic
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:35:44 +0000 (UTC)

Can BL3 support the Orinoco Gold Classic wireless card (Hermes I)?

Not immediately. The BL3 kernel does not contain wireless
capability (it was left out to keep the kernel small).
You can replace the BL3 kernel (zimage) with the bare.i
kernel (bzimage) from Slackware 7.1. It has wireless
capability. You will also need a module (driver) for
the Orinoco. I'm not sure which one it needs. A bit
of googling might tell you.

The Hermes I card might need orinoco_cs.o, which I did not find in Slackware 7.1 modules. Slackware 8.1 does not have a /modules. I think they have one very large file with all the modules in it. How does one figure out which modules are in it?

I found something else which suggested that a 2.4 kernel will support this card. Does it need to be a Slackware kernel and modules?