baslinux - Re: [BL] Orinoco Gold Classic

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Orinoco Gold Classic
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:19:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Jeffrey Valcher wrote:

Can BL3 support the Orinoco Gold Classic wireless card (Hermes I)?

Not immediately. The BL3 kernel does not contain wireless
capability (it was left out to keep the kernel small).
You can replace the BL3 kernel (zimage) with the bare.i
kernel (bzimage) from Slackware 7.1. It has wireless
capability. You will also need a module (driver) for
the Orinoco. I'm not sure which one it needs. A bit
of googling might tell you.

Since someone recently gave us a wireless card and a neighbor offered to share his DSL line, we are also interested in the answer to this one so I googled Orinoco Gold and found it takes wvlan_cs or possibly a couple of newer modules.

A very detailed instruction for installing a wireless network card (wvlan_cs being their example) for Debian:
http://www.foldr.org/~michaelw/wireless.html

There is a manpage for wvlan_cs

And a page specifically about Orinoco wireless:
http://www.hpl.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

And many other things under Orinoco wireless and wvlan_cs

Summary of the Debian page - add to /pcmcia/config

device "wvlan_cs"
class "network" module "wvlan_cs"

Card " "
version " ", " "
bind "wvlan_cs"

For the part to fill into the " " use cardctl ident
(Cardmgr may also work - I forget how but I used that for another card. It comes with BL3).

cardctl is in pcmcia.tgz along with lots of modules - I untarred the file (tar -zxvf) and picked out just cardmgr, cardctl, and the needed modules (also on the SW71 CD under /modules/2.2.16/pcmcia. Put into /lib/modules/2.2.16/pcmcia

If the module you need is not available for SW7.1, would it be possible to use a later kernel and module? (And matching modules for everything else, of course). Put them in /lib/modules/2.?.?/misc and pcmcia
(where 2.?.? should be changed to the kernel number). I may some day want to try this for USB if I get it working elsewhere.