baslinux - Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:40:07 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> My young friend for whom we made a linux computer has come to the
> conclusion, after shrinking the linux partition so he could have four
> 500MB partitions to play in

> He has been thinking about compiling his own linux so I referred him to
> linux from scratch. I don't think his hard drive is big enough

2GB should be enough. X will compile in under a gigabyte, and it is one
of the largest packages. You can only do this if you delete everything
but the binaries after you've compiled one package (moving on to the
next one).

> and he got the impression it required kernel 2.6.

I hope they don't require 2.6.

> LSF says it can take a few days to compile glibc on an older computer
> - is a 233MHz 'older'?

On my 300MHz PII, it took an afternoon. This was with glibc-2.3.2.
If he's building from scratch, might he be interested in a smaller
libc? uClibc (just don't expect MPlayer to work correctly) or an
older glibc?

David

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com

  • Re: [BL] no XVESA or svgalib - DOS/linux video problem, David Moberg, 07/11/2005