baslinux - Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:39:38 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I just chrooted to BL3 partition and ran rc and I can now also run
> links2 and startx. inittab refers to rc, sets up three tty's with
> sh (did I already do that with chroot /hd /bin/sh? - if not, bash
> from BL2 is fine),

chroot runs the specified program (/bin/sh) with the specified root
directory (/hd) in the current tty for most programs (includes sh).

> Could I type chroot /hd /bin/sh;rc and make this an alias called
> bl3?

Yes, but this probably doesn't do what you think it does. It will
run chroot /hd /bin/sh, and then _after_ you have exited the chroot
environment, it will run the rc of whatever you are chrooting _from_.

Probably better is to make a script inside /hd. For instance,
/hd/etc/rootsetup:

#!/bin/sh
/etc/rc.sysinit # Change this to the correct script name(s)
/bin/sh

# SNIP

Then chmod +x and do: chroot /hd /etc/rootsetup

> rc sets the BL3 path, and runs e2fsck on the new partition. I
> could instead of rc use the PATH line in rc.
>
> In BL2 rc sets the path to /bin:/sbin:/bin/busybox.
> In BL3 to /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin - why not busybox?

Because /bin/busybox is no longer a directory in BL3. The
busybox location in now in /bin (and there are some things
in /sbin and /usr/bin and sbin)

> /etc/profile also sets the path - in BL3 it adds /usr/X11R6/bin and
> /usr/local/bin. In BL2 it adds /usr/local/sbin, /usr/X11R6/bin
> /bin/busybox. (I may have added the /usr/local/sbin myself).
>
> Should I also be running profile or does chroot do that?

sh is supposed to do that. However, ash may need a special
option to tell it to run profile first.

> > 2.6 is very unstable, due to the Bitkeeper fiasco and various
> > other issues which slowed down development.
>
> What is a Bitkeeper fiasco?

Linux developers used Bitkeeper to manage the Linux source code
up until the past few months. However, the maker of Bitkeeper
has recently announced that it is discontinuing its free (as
in gratis) version of Bitkeeper on July 1. So, Linux kernel
development is slowing down temporarily, because it is necessary
to switch to a different source code management system. This
takes some time which would otherwise be spent improving Linux.

You may know that odd-numbered Linux minor releases (e.g. 2.5)
are unstable, while even-numbered ones are stable (2.4).
However, 2.7 is not yet ready, so 2.6 is effectively the
current unstable version, while 2.4 is stable and 2.5 is
obsolete.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com