baslinux - Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] loadlin with vmlinuz
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:05:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Can you boot other linuxes with loadlin, using the same boot to hd
> batch file as for BL2, but substituting vmlinuz for zimage?

Yup, I've done it with Mandrake 9.0 and BL2 loadlin.
Example for me:

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 initrd=initrd.img

It boots normally.

> We are attempting to put Ubuntu on a computer that also has BL2,
> and it cannot find root=/dev/hdb2 (where we put Ubuntu). The
> message is:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hdb2" or unknown-block(0,)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option.

Are you sure that hdb2 exists? Can you access it from BL2? Does
Ubuntu need an initrd? If it needs an initrd, you will have to
copy that to your DOS partition, too, and add the initrd= loadlin
parameter.

> We copied vmlinuz to the BL2 directory and skipped the grub and
> lilo options. The installation program said we could boot manually
> setting it to root=/dev/hdb2 so I copied over a BL2 boot file and
> changed zimage to vmlinuz. We tried with and without ro.
>
> I can chroot to /dev/hdb2 from BL2 ramdisk but it has the wrong
> kernel. Can we boot BL2 with kernel 2.6 and chroot and run things
> properly?

Mostly. You won't get a Ubuntu init, so some things won't work
right.

> I would probably have to run the files in rc, and
> profile, to set paths, etc., but Permission denied to run profile.
> There are tons of rcs full of things we don't understand and
> probably don't want, with files starting with S or K followed by
> numbers.
>
> I suspect that this linux won't last much longer than Caldera,
> SuSe, Redhat, or Mandrake (which would not even install - it did
> not like our newest computer's video). Ubuntu is Debian and the
> neighbor got 10 copies for the price of postage. It did not detect
> the ISA network card or the modem.

I find it easier to work on BL until it fits my hardware than try
to get something else to work right. The big distributions are just
too big, slow, complicated.

> This is one of two computers that would not boot loop BL3, but it
> works with BL2 RAMdisk or ext2 and ubuntu is ext2.

Can you try on a better PC?

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com