baslinux - Re: [BL] Using bzip/rzip instead of gzip (Was: BL 3.32: network problem - where is eepro100.o kernelmodule?)

  • From: jari.aalto AT cante.net (Jari Aalto)
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using bzip/rzip instead of gzip (Was: BL 3.32: network problem - where is eepro100.o kernelmodule?)
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:50:32 +0200

| Sorry, I did not understand.
| I wonder if zimage is gzipped and could be bzipped instead.
| When I 'make zImage' during kernel compilation I could instead make
| bzImage - would this be smaller?

I didn't test on zImage, but yes, in general bzImage for kernel would also
be smaller. I believe latest kernels already use that or offer the choice.
Not sure about 2.x.

The interesting thing is could rzip be used there as well to squeeze even
more room. I'm not familiar with kernel enough to understand how the
uncompression is done.