baslinux - Re: [BL] screen: why use it?

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen: why use it?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:49:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

You may already know this, but it might be useful for other
readers: if you have gpm (the console mouse driver) running,
you can block-copy text from one console to the other using
the mouse. BL1 comes with gpm. For BL2 or BL3, you can
install a package from Slackware.

Seeing how most of my work is done in telnet windows, I just use windows ct and paste (in concert with PuTTY) for copieing information. But, once I have room to have my BL box operating standalone (so I can actually use the console itself), then I may look itno using that.

I just discovered today throough playing aroudn that vi isn't
installed by default in BL2,

vi is user-unfriendly, particularly for newbies.

I agree wholeheartedly, the few times I was required to use vi (at least 5 years ago), I was having all kinds of problems figureing out how to even get out of the program. I was more or less just making a statement/conversation about it :)

pico (and nano) are nice user-friendly editors.

Steven: Did you have to compile that editor yourself to get it
to be small enough to include with BL2,

Yes, I compiled it myself (from nano sourcecode) with reduced
functionality to keep it small. The editor in BL3 (e3) is
even smaller (and it has a vi option).

What exactly is nano? I didn't have it for very long before I had installed the full fledged version of pine.tgz from SW71 (one of the first packages after the install-to-hd script had completed in fact). I guess I'll use my next break tonight to do a little research itno nano next, and see what all it has in it (who knows, I may find it has better features than pine, and prefer it).

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org