baslinux - Re: [BL] screen: why use it?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen: why use it?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:03:44 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> > Screen lets you copy between screens (on the same or
> > different consoles) using keyboard commands.
>
> Ok, that could be really useful as opposed to trrying to bounce
> back and forth between virtual consoles to copy information
> (as I've done in the past).

You may already know this, but it might be useful for other
readers: if you have gpm (the console mouse driver) running,
you can block-copy text from one console to the other using
the mouse. BL1 comes with gpm. For BL2 or BL3, you can
install a package from Slackware.

> I just discovered today throough playing aroudn that vi isn't
> installed by default in BL2,

vi is user-unfriendly, particularly for newbies.

> but it does have an editor that appears to be a stripped down
> version of pico.

pico (and nano) are nice user-friendly editors.

> Steven: Did you have to compile that editor yourself to get it
> to be small enough to include with BL2,

Yes, I compiled it myself (from nano sourcecode) with reduced
functionality to keep it small. The editor in BL3 (e3) is
even smaller (and it has a vi option).