baslinux - Re: [BL] screen: why use it?

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] screen: why use it?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

I can access the bbs either by direct-dial or by telnetting. There is a
lot of lag with telnetting and in addition our DSL modem keeps freezing up
the connection for 1-2 minutes if you telnet but not if you dial. I have
used screen at the bbs to do several things at once and copy between lynx
and pico. I ought to also use it from my own computer so I can cut and
paste things from my email to another screen on the same terminal without
needing to download it all. Or copy from lynx to email rather than
emailing someone a whole webpage. Probably this could be done with X and
a mouse instead, using BL3.

The reason I asked if the BBS provided a full blown TCP stack was to see if you could connect to the BBS, then switch to a different console, and say, telnet to another site or something. As for the telnet problems with the DSL modem, that may have something to do with the connection to whatever ISP you dial into then. I'd contact them and see if there may be an imcompatiblity issue. Especially since the modem work fine if you direct dial into the BBS, but if you dial the ISP then telnet it has issues.

You need to go back and forth between screens instead with Ctrl-C and the
number of the screen. The screens can be on the same or different
consoles. If different consoles, you can see them on two monitors (TTL
and VGA). I was hoping to translate that way eventually.

Ifigured the screen switching was fairly easy. When you say same or different consoles, do you mean that I could for example be logged in via telnet to my BL box, and have screen running. Then move over to actual BL box and login directly and still use the same screen program that way? Or is it that, if you're working from console mode, you can access various screens from within the various virtual consoles only? (does that sound as confusing at it looks when written down?)

There is also a smaller, simpler, program called something like splitvt,
which comes with one of the SW7.1 packages and dates back to around 1995.

It might be in binutils.tgz. I am using DOS to dial in so cannot check
right now.

I'll look through my directories tonight and see if it's there or not. I'm fairly certain that I've got binutils.tgz installed, so I'll look for splitvt (or something that looks even remotely similar to that).

Have you tried the vi version of e3? Is it included in BL3?

I saw steven's message about vi being a feature of e3 in BL3, but I haven't got BL3 right now (still using BL2 myself), so I can't test it out any. Although I'm sure I could d/l BL3 and then take that one program out of it and install it, but that feels like to much work for something I don't really need (as mentioned, I have the full version of pine.tgz installed partially for pico itself, and partially for the email capability).

I'll be having to install ncurses eventually anyway (its needed for
bittorrent to work, along with having to install pyhon *shudder*). As for
the dependecies for the SW80 screen, it wouldn't be too hard to discover
what those dependencies are (installpkg screen.tgz then ldd screen).
Although, I may, if I decide to install screen (which is still up in the
air), use the version from SW91 as that's the version that I appear to be
migrating towards just because of the extras it has in it (along with
more recent version of certain packages).

I found a fairly recent version for SW80 (later than what is included in
SW80 at the Slackware mirror sites) - 13. What version is in SW91? I
doubt that I am using any of the newer features as this is a rather large
program with many features. I don't understand the meaning of most of
them.

The filename for the package in SW91 is screen-3.9.15-i486-2.tgz and I'm sure the version number is buried in that somewhere (I'd assume the 3.9.15 is the version). This was found by doing a package search at slackware.com in the 9.1 version of slackware. Incidentally, if you do a search in the current-release you get 4.0.2 instead (even though SW91 is the most current release of SW).

Python is needed for the only small free linux drawing program I found
(sketch) which I have not yet tried. What is the problem with python?

No problem that I'm aware of. Python just seems to be more of a development studio, and I don't want to have to install a full fledged development package, if I can just get the libraries I need out of it. Sort of like how you can install glibc if you want the full development abilities, but only need libc.so if you just need the dependent libraries. Something akin to libpy.so for just the python library dependencies, and the full fledged python package for developers.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org