baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:55:47 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > > What else do I need to do in order to finish downgrading so
> > > things all work again without looking for the later library?
>
> When I stuffed up MY BL2 installation with upgraded libraries,
> what I finally ended up doing was re-writing all the library symlinks
> back to the old (2.1.3) library files, using commandline pairs such as:
>
> rm -rf libdl.so.2
> ln -sf libdl-2.1.3.so libdl.so.2
>
> for each symlink that I needed to change back, and then DELETING
> any newer libraries completely from the /lib directory.
>
> And only then did I run lconfig.

I thought what I did accomplishes the same thing. I deleted the 2.2.5
files and then made new symlinks back to 2.1.3 using ldconfig rather than
manually deleting and remaking all the links. Reverse order of what you
did. Does your method accomplish something different? Can you run 'as'
without an error message now?

According to Matrix Mole, you should have been able to overwrite the old
symlinks with -sf without needing to delete them first. And since ln
won't work without a couple of the glibc libraries, I don't know how you
managed to make new links with it after deleting the old ones to these
files. Sln might have worked for that.

> If you dont want to delete your newer libraries completely, why
> don't you MOVE them to a new directory created for just that purpose
> and which is not in the path.

Good idea, and then symlink to them in the other directory.

But I think I may just reupgrade and give up compiling for
BL2-with-old-library. Other people can upgrade to use anything I compile,
and besides you don't always need the new library. I just used bmv
on this computer with glibcso-2.1.3 (I think, not quite sure what I have)
after compiling bmv on a computer with glibc-2.2.5.

James, thanks for the encouragement to keep experimenting. You are right,
people who want something more predictable would not be doing this. I am
glad you are finding my experimental results interesting. I posted them
because it was hard to find such information. I did one very long search
on how to type extended ASCII characters in linux and all I found was one
unanswered question asking how to do it. (Same as in DOS, Alt-key plus
the ASCII number, after loading the font you are after, but you have to be
in pico or some other program which supports extended ascii, not at the
command line.)