baslinux - Re: [BL] su PATH listing

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] su PATH listing
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:17:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Matrix Mole wrote:
> >
> > when I 'su' to root, I lose access to the /bin/busybox directory.
> > That makes it difficult to run certain commands.
> > I know that shadow.tgz overwrites login.defs and don't know if
> > that could be the cause of it or not.
>
> I think you might have put your finger on it. In BL2 the basic
> PATH structure (ENV_SUPATH for root) is set in login.defs

Followup: I loaded the ramdisk version of linux, and then mounted my
regular linux partition onto /hd. Once I had done that, I compared the
login.defs that is initially loaded with BL with the login.defs that
shadow.tgz overwrites. It would appear that the ENV_SUPATH doesn't include
a link to /bin/busybox in the initial load either. I went ahead and added
it in of course. It was slightly annoying to have to type in
/bin/busybox/[command] even the 25% of the time I run accross it.

Most of the settings in the shadow.tgz login.defs are the same as what
Steven has set for BL, it just merely has comment lines describing what
the various settings are, or could mean.

Just a bit of knowledge for others to have/use :)

Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org