baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:37:58 +1300

cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

> Does it still make sense to use BL3 as a basis to build on?

No. BL2 was designed to provide a foundation for adding
standard packages from Slackware (and elsewhere). BL3 is
different. It was designed to provide maximal functionality
in minimal space. Compatibility with standard packages is
not a priority.

BL3 is not an upgrade from BL2. BL2 was designed for more
powerful machines (minimum: 486dx with 8mb RAM). BL3 was
designed for much older PCs (386/486 with 3mb/8mb RAM).

> I suppose who runs an XTerminal wants to run graphical
> applications, and they will need all kinds of fonts.
> Is there a way to get them from the hosting machine, too?

Yes, it is common to run a font server on the host machine
to feed fonts to the Xterminals. However, at the moment,
I am not sure how to tell Xvesa to get fonts from a font
server (rather than the default directories). There is
a -fp parameter to set the Xvesa font path, but I don't
know whether it can be directed to a remote font server.